First Spring School on Media Systems: comparative and transnational perspectives. Focus on China
(Perugia, Italy, April 2nd to April 6th, 2017)
VENUE and DATES
The First Spring School on “Media Systems: comparative and transnational perspectives. Focus on China” takes place at Casa Monteripido, Perugia, Italy, from April 2nd to April 6th, 2017.
The Spring School is organized by the China Media Observatory of the USI Università della Svizzera italiana (Switzerland), in collaboration with the Department of Political Sciences at Università di Perugia (Italy) and the Department of Communication at University of California San Diego (US).
Organizing committee: Yuan Miaotong (USI Università della Svizzera Italiana, Lugano), Marco Mazzoni (Università di Perugia), Rita Marchetti (Università di Perugia), Roberto Mincigrucci (Università di Perugia), Anna Stanziano (Università di Perugia).
GOALS and STRUCTURES
This Spring School is addressed to advanced Master students, PhDs and junior researchers in communication, media studies, journalism, political communication, sociology of communication and other related fields. It is particularly focused on the notion of “Media Systems” presenting, discussing and comparing global media systems and the methodological and interpretive challenges that are involved.
The Spring School, which takes place just before the opening of the International Journalism Festival (IJF) in Perugia, is organized in five working days (from Sunday afternoon, April 2nd 2017 to Thursday afternoon, April 6th) and is structured in three main parts:
- Lectures by established scholars from Europe, U.S. and China providing an overview on theoretical definitions and aspects of global media systems and, then, in the second part, specifically on the Chinese media systems as compared to other systems;
- Presentations by participants who will be offered the opportunity to discuss their research projects with professors and with other students/colleagues to refine their theoretical and empirical ideas;
- Meetings and Q&A sections with people involved in the IJF. Participants will also enjoy the Festival’s sparkling environment and have the chance to have discussions with selected prestigious figures of international contemporary communication in dedicated sessions.
A Certificate and 3 ECTS will be awarded to each participant who successfully completes the School.
HOW TO APPLY
Potential participants are invited to apply sending the following documents:
- CV and list of publications;
- A 500-word outline of their research projects focusing on key research questions and hypotheses; methodologies; case studies; preliminary results; future research;
- A letter of motivation (no more than 500 words).
Selected participants will have to pay a €500 fee, including accommodation (double room) and a farewell dinner.
- Application to be sent to email@example.com by January 15th, 2017 (EXTENDED DEADLINE JANUARY 31, 2017)
- Participants will be notified by the end of January 2017
- Confirmation of participation and fee payment by February 28th, 2017
- Summer school in Perugia in April 2nd-6th, 2017
CONFIRMED SPRING SCHOOL PROFESSORS
Gabriele Balbi (USI Università della Svizzera italiana)
Bingchun Meng (LSE)
Frank Esser (University of Zurich)
Dan Hallin (University of California, San Diego)
Paolo Mancini (Università di Perugia)
Gianluigi Negro (USI Università della Svizzera italiana)
Zrinjka Perusko (University of Zagreb)
Giuseppe Richeri (USI Università della Svizzera italiana)