Second Spring School on Media Systems: Comparative and Transnational Perspectives. Focus on South America
(Perugia, Italy, April 9th to April 12th, 2018)
VENUE and DATES
The Second Spring School on “Media Systems: comparative and transnational perspectives. Focus on South America” takes place at Itaca International College, Perugia, Italy, from April 9th to April 12th 2018.
The Spring School is organized by the Institute of Media and Journalism of the USI Università della Svizzera italiana (Switzerland), in collaboration with the Department of Political Sciences at Università di Perugia (Italy) and the Department of Communication at University of California San Diego (US).
Organizing committee: Agnes Miaotong Yuan (USI Università della Svizzera Italiana, Lugano), Marco Mazzoni (Università di Perugia), Rita Marchetti (Università di Perugia), Roberto Mincigrucci (Università di Perugia), Anna Stanziano (Università di Perugia).
GOALS and STRUCTURES
This Spring School is addressed to advanced Master students, PhDs and junior researchers in communication, media studies, journalism, political communication, sociology of communication and other related fields. It is particularly focused on the notion of “Media Systems” presenting, discussing and comparing global media systems and the methodological and interpretive challenges that are involved. In particular, the focus of this year Spring school will be on “South America”.
The Spring School, which takes place just before the opening of the International Journalism Festival (IJF) in Perugia, is organized in four working days (from Monday morning, April 9th to Thursday noon, April 12th 2018) and is structured in three main parts:
- Lectures by established scholars from Europe, U.S. and South America providing an overview on theoretical definitions and aspects of global media systems and, then, in the second part, specifically on the South American media systems as compared to other systems;
- Presentations by participants who will be offered the opportunity to discuss their research projects with professors and with other students/colleagues to refine their theoretical and empirical ideas;
- Meetings and Q&A sections with people involved in the IJF. Participants will also enjoy the Festival’s sparkling environment and have the chance to have discussions with selected prestigious figures of international contemporary communication in dedicated sessions.
CREDITS FOR PARTICIPANTS
- For participants who successfully passed the evaluation from discussions, 3 ECTs will be given.
HOW TO APPLY
Potential participants are invited to apply sending the following documents:
- CV and list of publications;
- A 500-word outline of their research projects focusing on key research questions and hypotheses; methodologies; case studies; preliminary results; future research;
- A letter of motivation (no more than 500 words).
Selected participants will have to pay a €500 fee, including lectures and discussions; 4 nights’ accommodation (double room at Itaca, a new housing facility of Università di Perugia) with breakfast and lunch; in addition, a city tour plus a farewell dinner in Perugia old town.
- Application to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st January 2018
- Participants will be notified by the 15th February 2018
- Confirmation of participation by 28th February 2018
- Final Payment before 8th March, 2018
CONFIRMED SPRING SCHOOL PROFESSORS
Gabriele Balbi (USI Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland)
Dan Hallin (University of California, San Diego, US)
Paolo Mancini (Università di Perugia, Italy)
Jairo Lugo-Ocando (University of Leeds, UK)
Claudia Andrea Mellado Ruiz (Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso, Chile)